Upcoming deadline: Interest form for student challenge on Zero Hunger due November 11, 2022. See more information here.
Overview of the Decade of Action Initiative
We welcome partners to join an existing SDG group (Groups currently include SDG2, 13, 17, and a Voluntary University Review Group) either as co-leads or as working group members. If the SDG is not listed, there is not an existing lead, but we welcome inquiries from those interested in initiating/starting a group for these SDGs as well. Please e-mail email@example.com with your name, institution, and the SDG group you would like to join or initiate.
The Covid 19 pandemic is adding to the existing challenges the world has in reaching the targets set for the SDG goals by the year 2030. Many higher institutions globally are also experiencing new and complex issues, but now more than ever, it is imperative to collaborate and establish multi-stakeholder partnerships in an effort to increase awareness, support, and lead local and global efforts towards achieving these goals.
The Decade of Action initiative is a signature effort by the University Global Coalition and call to action to its members to engage, collaborate, and lead in a manner that amplifies the important role and impact that higher education plays towards achieving the SDG targets.
To participate in this initiative, UGC member institutions will select which of the 17 SDG goal(s) they would like to lead/co-lead based on their institutions’ interests and/or strategic direction. Multiple institutions could partner on leading select goals and single institutions could lead/co-lead/participate on multiple goals. Member institutions are encouraged to leverage their vast networks to partner with other institutions globally as part of this initiative.
We recognize that many institutions are likely addressing all 17 goals in some varied capacity but for the purpose of this initiative we recommend that you hone in on the goal(s) that you have the capacity to make the biggest impact with clear milestones. Even though we hold a long term view of 2030 in mind, this initiative will start with documenting and celebrating annual milestones.
The purpose of this annual report is not to produce an impressive laundry list of initiatives at our various institutions but rather to identify and share specific outcomes (programs, policies, research, partnerships, initiatives) that may not have otherwise been achieved without participating in this initiative. Once you commit, we encourage you to consider doing the following:
- Sharing/Setting up a repository of institutional best practices
- Co-Create/Design new initiatives either individually or jointly with others
- Implement/Take Action
Some recommended focus areas for institutions to get started include but are not limited to the following:
|Internal Stakeholder Engagement/Institutional Alignment
|Ø Conduct a voluntary review (e.g. Carnegie Mellon)
Ø Participate in the SDG Dashboard Pilot Project:
|Ø Utilize the 17 rooms U concept designed by Brookings and Rockefeller to help facilitate multi-disciplinary collaboration amongst faculty on your campus or between your faculty and those at partner institutions to develop opportunities for research of consequence
Ø Organize an SDG Forum with Faculty working on SDG related initiatives or research (e.g. UC Davis)
Ø Establish or fund sustainability centers or fellowships that incentivize faculty to collaborate across various SDGs or with relevant global and local partners
|Ø Participate in the upcoming SDG Awareness Week to be held during the first week of March 2023. Webpage coming soon. Participation could include creating a student resource with introductory information on your SDG and ways to engage with that SDG or hosting an online event during that week focused on your SDG.
Ø Organize an SDG Day in partnership with student leaders/relevant student organizations
|External Stakeholder Engagement/Partnerships
|Ø Identify local and global partners
Ø Collaborate with existing UGC member institutions or encourage additional institutions to become members https://universityglobalcoalition.org/signatories/
Ø Develop sustainability related courses or content with other partner institutions
Ø Join SDSN
- We welcome partners to join an existing SDG group (Groups currently include SDG2, 3, 4, 8, 9, 10, 11, 13, 16, 17, and a Voluntary University Review Group) either as co-leads or as working group members. If the SDG is not listed, there is not an existing lead, but we welcome inquiries from those interested in initiating/starting a group for these SDGs as well (1, 6, 7, 12, 14, 15) Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, institution, and the SDG group you would like to join or initiate.
- Invite partner institutions that you would like to collaborate with to join the University Global Coalition if they are not already members. New members can join via this link: https://universityglobalcoalition.org/sign/ (Note that signatory of form must be able to sign on behalf of the entire institution)
- Working groups will set a tangible outcome that can be achieved within 12-18 months and be asked to report on progress every six months.
Thank you for your participation in this very important initiative. We look forward to continued discussion and development. Kindly contact Gbemi Disu – email@example.com for any further questions regarding this initiative.